The Water Bowl - Acorns and Your Dogs - Did You Know?


Originally Posted on December 20, 2014

Acorns are known to contain a substance called gallotanin. This is a mixture of gallic and tanic acid. This substance can cause upset of the gastrointestinal system in pets. The symptoms are cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and kidney failure. When a dog swallows the acorns, their intestines may become blocked. Chewed acorns will release more toxins of the gallotanin. Some dogs may even experience seizures. Sharp pieces of the acorn shell can irritate the gastrointestinal system.

Green acorns are known to contain more of the poison. Many dogs have died of kidney failure when eating acorns. Not only are the acorns poisonous to dogs, but the buds, bark, and leaves are too. You should know that there is no antidote for dogs who have ingested oak tree parts. Treatment can be provided with intravenous fliuds and medication for pain. If you think your dog has been poisoned, then you should contact a vet or a poison control hotline right away. Acorns can pose a choking hazard for your dog too.
Pets are known to put everything in their mouth and they must be protected from plants that can be poisonous to them. Water that is contaminated by soaking oak leaves is also poisonous to dogs. After your dog has ingested parts of the oak tree it may take a few days before the onset of signs begin. Many new teething pups are attracted to acorns and they should be kept away from the oak tree. The shell of the acorn is the part that contains the most toxin.

You can get a list of all poisonous plants that can be harmful and fatal to your dog from the vet or online listings. You can prepare yourself to know which plants, trees, or flowers that your dog should avoid. Prevention is the best measure to keep your dog from becoming poisoned. Many pets are like members to the families who own them. If your pet is known to consume non-suitable items, then it will be best for you to keep them away from acorns. These acorns may seem quite tasty to a dog, but they don't know they are causing harm to their body. If a small amount of acorn is ingested your dog may survive, but if large amounts are consumed your pet has a very high chance of dying.

Reference: http://www.thepuppynetwork.com/health/poisonous_to_dogs.html


Tags: